First published in March of 1934, Athenæum Items was created by interim Director M. A. DeWolfe Howe (1933-36), who was the editor until 1946. In 1947, Director Walter Muir Whitehill took over as editor. Athenaeum Items was not published again after August 1961 (No. 73) until November 1979 (No. 74). It was then edited by Director Rodney Armstrong. Ann Wadsworth took over as editor of publications from 1993 through 2007. The pamphlet, usually 4-8 pages, was mailed to members to inform them of the new acquisitions, activities, and general reminders about the library that would be of interest to them. The original designer was Daniel Berkeley Updike (Athenæum Trustee 1927-1941), and the first issues came from his Merrymount Press.The publication was sporadic; the last issue was published in the summer of 2008.
Carolle R. Morini
Caroline D. Bain Archivist and Reference Librarian